Coordinator of art education - post-baccalaureate certification program (full time)
Position: coordinator of art education - post-baccalaureate certification program (full time)
Status: Full-time staff, annual appointment
Start date: Jan. 16, 2014
The Kansas City Art Institute, a private college of art and design granting the B.F.A. degree, is seeking an individual who understands and knows what it means to be an artist/educator to serve as the inaugural coordinator of the college’s post-baccalaureate certificate program in art education. The successful candidate will:
- Assist with the recruitment and retention of a diverse pool of candidates who demonstrate potential for effectiveness as educators
- Teach art methods and related courses
- Conduct appropriate student evaluation and program assessment in line with HLC standards
- Recruit adjunct faculty who are 1) qualified for their assignments, 2) from diverse populations and 3) model effective professional practices in teaching, learning, scholarship and service
- Establish relationships with area schools and school districts to place and supervise candidates in appropriate field and clinical experiences
- Shape and reshape the curriculum based on the vision of the program
Requirements for the position:
- Experienced in using diverse media and technology
- Up-to-date with current literature, trends and best practices in the field of art education, including Backward Design of Curriculum, Technology in Schools, 21st Century Skills
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully with students of diverse backgrounds and learning styles, including sensitivity to their needs and concerns
- Knowledgeable about diverse cultures and art forms
- Demonstrated knowledge of historical DBAE pedagogy and current pedagogical trends, including holistic, visual culture, choice-based, etc.
- Excellent organizational, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, to begin projects independently and to bring projects to conclusion on a timely basis
Education and experience requirements:
At minimum, a master’s degree in art education is required, Ph.D. or M.F.A. degree along with master’s degree in art education also preferred. Successful three to five years of experience as a K-12 visual arts teacher at the elementary and secondary school levels and an active studio practice is preferred.
About KCAI: Kansas City Art Institute is a four-year, independent and accredited college of art and design founded in 1885, and located in the cultural heart of metropolitan Kansas City, Mo. The college enrolls more than 750 undergraduate students drawn regionally, nationally and internationally.
Application deadlines and procedures: Although the position is open until filled, fullest attention will be given to those applications received by Nov. 1, 2013. Applications received during the on-campus finalist stage of the search are not guaranteed consideration.
Attach to the email in PDF format only:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- List of workable web link(s) to personal and/or commercial work as well as supervised student work with project descriptions where applicable
- List of three professional references we may contact
Applications with accessible PDF files and workable web links will be acknowledged by return email.
Questions may be directed to:
KCAI Director of Human Resources
Kansas City Art Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer