Living Center Details
The on-campus Student Living Center can accommodate up to 190 students. Rooms feature computer connections to the campus network and the Internet and furnishings designed for the building, such as beds and desks. The Living Center is equipped with wi-fi.
Types of rooms
- Single, if space allows
- Single gender (All residents on the floor are the same gender.)
- Coed (Roommates are the same gender but may live next door to students of the opposite gender.)
- Gender neutral (Roommates may be of the same gender, opposite gender, transgender or gender non-conforming.)
- Residents bringing personal computers will be provided connection to the campus network, which includes port activation for Internet access, information about accessing campus network resources, configuration for network connectivity and scanning the computer for viruses. (See the Living Center Guide or Living Center Contract for more details.)
- Bed with extra-long mattress. Each bed includes materials to loft or place at the traditional twin bed height.
- Dimensions: 14'5" x 12'
- Two students per room
- Window, 49 x 64 inches
- Dimensions: 10'6" x 19' 8"
- Three students per room
- Window, 49 x 64 inches
Suggested items to bring
- TV/DVD (cable is not offered) (must be UL listed)
- Radio/headphones/iPod (must be UL listed)
- Checkbook/bank card
- Cleaning supplies for your room
- Surge protector (must be UL listed)
- Cell phone
- Alarm clock (must be UL listed)
- Cooking appliances: compact refrigerator (not to exceed 3.6 cubic feet); microwave; coffee maker; and tea maker. Must be UL listed. All other appliances are prohibited.
- CDs, movies, board games
- Clothes hangers, hamper / laundry bag, detergent, quarters for laundry
- Can opener (hand-operated only)
- Trash can
- Linens (extra-long twin mattress size)
- Vinyl mattress cover (zippered cover that contains the mattress)
- Bike lock
- Ticky tack to hang items on walls. Available at the KCAI Art Supply Store. Other adhesives are prohibited.
- Social Security card or birth certificate (for campus employment)
Click here for more information about UL listings.
- Illegal drugs
- Candles and incense
- Cooking appliances other than refrigerators (not to exceed 3.6 cubic feet), microwaves, coffee makers and tea makers. All approved appliances must be UL listed.
- Non-UL listed electronic devices (radios/stereos, alarm clocks, televisions, etc.)
- Electric heating devices (including electric blankets and personal heaters)
- Extension cords (Kansas City Missouri fire codes prohibit these items)
- Pets (including fish and lizards)
- Halogen lights
- Mattress pads (egg crates, memory foam, etc. as these are fire hazards in residence halls)
- Large furniture (recliners, large chairs, loveseats, couches, futons, etc.)
- Duct tape, packing tape, Scotch tape, nails, tacks, etc. are prohibited on walls. To hang items on walls, ticky tack must be used (available at the KCAI Art Supply Store)
Restrooms in the Living Center are community facilities and are centrally located on each floor.
- Restrooms on co-ed and gender-neutral floors are shared by both male and female residents.
- Restrooms on single-gender floor are shared with members of the same gender.
- There are five individual toilet stalls and six sinks per restroom.
- There are six individual shower stalls, each with two shower curtains and personal changing area.
There are laundry facilities on each floor.
- Each floor has one washer and one dryer.
- Cost is $1.50 for wash and $1.50 for dry.
- Machines accept quarters only.
The fitness room is located on the first floor of the Living Center. This facility features treadmills, elliptical machines, a stationary bicycle, free weights, cable television and a DVD to play workout videos.
The television lounge is located on the first floor of the lobby area of the Living Center. The facility features cable television and DVD player.
The dining hall is located on the first floor of the Living Center in the north tower. Each Living Center resident is automatically enrolled in the 19 meal-per-week plan.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served Monday-Friday
- Brunch and dinner are served on Saturday and Sunday
Living Center parking lot
The student Living Center has a dedicated parking lot of 57 spaces for students residing in the dorms.
Students residing in the Living Center with a vehicle are required to pay a $200 yearly fee if they wish to park in the Living Center lot. Other campus lots and street parking are available to those students who do not wish to pay the fee. Contact the housing office at 816-802-3358 for more information.